Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Making strides

So I realize my blogging may have been lacking but, dear cherubs, I am making strides in completing all my goals. One particular goal is probably the most laughable to anyone who does not know me personally...

3. Remind yourself that you can do it and hold a baby


Now, where should I start - I grew up in a non-baby household. Sure, I'm the oldest child in said household but obviously I was way too cool at age 3.5 to be bother to hold my little but big headed (sorry but you know it's true!) sister. Even at family events, all the adults were complete baby hogs so there was never a reason for me to get off the tire swing to hold one.

Years began passing quickly and I slipped under the radar, escaping babies left and right. The only time I babysat solo was during my college senior year spring break where I told a pal I would look after two kids who I assumed were potty trained because they were walking around. Boy, was I wrong and yes, those felt like the longest days of my life.

Please allow me to take a moment to clear up a rumor - I don't dislike babies or children rather I am cautious of the unpredictable and think unruly children should be euthanized. I kid, I kid.
Seriously though, as I become more refined (note: I didn't state older) and my friends all begin to pop, I thought it was a perfect time to get more acquainted with the little darlings.

The mom of one of my dearest friends, Shelby, held a girls brunch to celebrate the soon-to-be arrival of baby #2 and the "end" of the world revolving about Emma, baby #1. Now, as the oldest child, I totally understand the anguish of having to "share" the spotlight with a sibling. After brunch, Emma was obviously over everything and just wanted to take a nap. She was getting passed around to each "auntie" to say goodnight and then it was my turn.

Source

It's like she knew. Thank you Amy for documentation and the coaching throughout the process. I'm not counting this as my task number three whereas I don't consider Emma a baby (did you see that sassy outfit? she's a big girl, all the way) and plan on actually holding a little baby.. in my arms.. without passing out. Baby steps are strides right?!

2 comments:

  1. haha I love this...You are slowly be desensitized to actually holding a baby...remember a mere week from today I will have a newborn who is ready, willing, and able to count this one off your list for good!

    Who did you babysit for your senior year?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this is really 'holding' Emma, since you just put her on your lap and let go.

    ReplyDelete