Wednesday, May 12, 2010

46. Wear heels for an entire day

I have a confession to make.. I almost didn't put #46 on my list. I find heels absolutely retched and merely the idea of wearing them for an entire day completely daunting.

Maybe I'm a bit spoiled. I have the luxury of wearing any type of footwear every day, even to work.. so obviously I choose flip flops nine times out of ten (and yes, that tenth time it's usually raining and I wear my rain boots or sneakers). My preferred footwear (and yes, you can actually see the indentation of where my feet sit on the flip flop):


I'm always that girl at wedding receptions that has the super cute dress with god awful flat (but matching) flip flops. Sorry to all brides (and grooms) for pictures that I've been in with inappropriate footwear - it's not you, it's me.

However, this whole thing is all about challenging oneself and I plan on doing just that . So, I selected the day - Thursday, May 6, 2010 - and man that day was filled to the brim with circumstances to make this task trickier than most. And before you harass me about height of heel or how they're just a dressy flip flop, I assure you that they are indeed a heel.


First off, those black beauties are brand stinkin' new shoes.. like I took them out of the box that morning. So, right off the bat, I'm breaking the cardinal rule of shoes by not "breaking them in" before wearing them. What can I say, I guess I'm a rule breaker.

Thursday is also my "bottom half" focus day at the gym. Meaning, after cardio, I focus on legs, hips and my gadunkadunk. So clearly my legs were already worked to the max before eight am! Apparently I'm not only a rule breaker but a glutton for punishment as well.

Additionally, Thursday is historically my "long day" at work.. casual 10 hours in those glorious marble hallways where I'm employed.. but alas, this particular Thursday, I was departing early for an alumni event which would involve networking, schmoozing and my least favorite activity, standing.

Sidebar: I have no idea why I hate standing so much. I'm not out of shape or considerably lazy but nothing grinds my gears more than having to stand at a bar or at an event. Furthermore, I'm blessed with the inability to eat while standing so I think this is my internal voice's way of saying, E1 take a load off, have some cheese and just relax. What's so bad about that?

ANYWAY, my day was chocked full of stuff.. and if you can believe it, from 8 am until 11pm when I finally got home from my event, my shoes stayed on the entire time. That's right, I didn't even cheat and switch out my shoes to drive (btw, I was driving for 4.5 of those hours and no, when you're driving, that's not a rest for feet).

Needless to say, it wasn't as horrible as I imagined it being. Sure, my feet were killing me and I longed for my trusty flip flops but before I knew it, the day was over. Who knows, I may even eventually keep my "real" shoes on long enough to be photographed at an upcoming wedding reception and not completely ruin a vertical shot.. but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

1 comment: