Friday, May 28, 2010

85. Start a herb garden

Growing up in southeastern Massachusetts, we were surrounded with farms and vegetable stands. I really never appreciated the wealth of fruits and vegetables in my community until I moved to Boston where our local "grocery store" was a glorified market and the produce was something to be desired. Now that I'm back in the "country", I thought that I would get in the mood to buy the freshest stuff and really embrace the local environment.

When I was home three weekends ago, my Mom suggested we go to Four Farms to check out the herbs and start my herb garden (Sidebar: I love that she reads my blog and wants to help me complete my items - thanks Mom!) Four Farms is a family owned farm located right outside of Providence, Rhode Island. They have everything between produce, flowers and herbs. All items are super fresh and their staff is so kind and friendly.


Yes, I took this picture when the car was moving - impressive eh? :)

Anyway I decided that I was going to start an herb garden of stuff that I was actually going to use - unlike the lemongrass that I grew last summer because it added some color to the garden.

Behold!


Disregard the nighttime picture - it's been a tough couple of weeks where I've gotten home after sundown on the regular. We selected some basil (my favorite), parsley and mint with the hopes that it'll inspire me to use one of these little gems regularly. Don't worry, I'm not going to keep them in those ghetto little pots - eventually I'll transfer the three plants into one large pot. Now who wants some herbs?!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Basil is great for most dishes, especially for sauces.

    Parsley adds a wonderful touch to salads of all types.

    Mint of course is great to have around when you just have a hankering for a mojito.

    Well done, E1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow an herb garden very nice!! Can't wait to hear about the first time u use it!!

    ReplyDelete